This large single-family mansion was erected in 1883 on 30 acres of pristine land overlooking the Hudson River in Garrison, New York. The 2 ½ story half-timbered structure is an early example of the Tudor Revival style. While the identity of the architect remains a mystery, the house’s subtle but distinct detailing and its overall architectural composition reveal a master architect’s hand. Its original owner served as a rector at the nearby parish church.
After decades of use as a religious institution, the property was acquired by a local resident with the intention to preserve both the architecturally significant house and its sprawling unspoiled Hudson Valley landscape. He charitably opted to convert the building into a non-profit center for three organizations—a land trust, garden preservation organization, and theater troupe.
BKSK directed the careful restoration and conversion of the 10,600 square foot mansion. The new center is ADA accessible and fire-code compliant, while retaining its historically significant interiors. Where the exterior was restored and gracefully extended, the interior spaces have been infused with a sense of modernity through the application of contemporary finishes, fixtures and unexpected interior treatments.
Heitmann & Heitmann – general contractor; Dunne and Markis – structural; OLA Consulting Engineers – MEP; Badey & Watson – civil; Kugler Ning – lighting design; Jay Brennan – millwork
Photos by Jonathan Wallen