LocationRiverdale, the Bronx, NY
Built in 1859 and renovated and expanded by Frederick Clarke Withers in 1881, this historic residence suffered a number of ill-conceived alterations over the years. When new owners purchased the house in 2002, they hired BKSK Architects to restore it to its greatest period, that of Withers. A massive restoration revealed many original elements, which were preserved and incorporated into the new design. Found elements that were too damaged to use were meticulously reproduced. The result is an historic restoration that returns the residence, inside and out, to a High Victorian Gothic style.
Palladio Awards, Palladio Award for Restoration & Renovation, 2007
Hudsonview Construction – general contractor; Kathy Kessler – interior design; Tri-Power Engineering – mechanical
Photos by Jonathan Wallen